Pages


First Day In the Camp










This morning we went out for breakfast and then quickly after we went to International Rescue Committee (IRC) and JHS where we got our refugee camp passes for the week. It was at a separate building so we had to ride in trucks to get there. It was my first experience in the back of a pick up truck - how exhilarating! Once we did all of that we had a meeting to ask questions and discuss camp information. I was getting a little anxious to just finally go to the camp. Finally, the moment came where we got in the truck again, this time inside, and headed off to the camp. The ride was so off road at some places, sometimes scarily steep as we went up the mountain and with the rainy season in session there was a little bit of overflowing creeks and construction. Alas, at the camp we arrived and walked into a room of about maybe 80 Karenni people. It definitely made me feel nervous with all the eyes looking at me! We got started and luckily I didn't have to do my presentation today so I got to observe on how to improve my presentation. Unfortunately, I was hoping to observe the special education program, but they were only there half day so I wasn't able to observe what they have here. My group tomorrow is only about 12-15 people so hopefully I will be able to have a very active and involved presentation so that everyone can take something out of it, including me. The camps do not allow you to take pictures or even post them anywhere so I won't be able to show you how it looks, but the camp looked a lot like the villages I saw in Hmong movies growing up, except maybe in worse condition. I think the most amazing thing to me that I got out of today was hearing the concerns and desires that the Karenni have for their community here. Many of them are anxious and have a strong lingering feeling of waiting. They are never sure of what's going to happen to them or their community. They lack freedom to go where they please. They simply feel weak. But what I noticed while I was there today was that these people were so strong - they are still fighting for a future for their families and culture. They haven't given up hope. All of this take strength and courage and I believe that they will be able to overcome their challenges even if it's not in the timeline that we are expecting or hoping for.

On another note, one of the program directors for IRC that I met told me that she worked in the Ban Vinai camp around the same exact time my parents were there. We were able to talk about what happened the Hmong in Thailand and where they went, as well as how they are doing in the U.S. It was a really great conversation and I am so thankful to be able to find connections here in Thailand. Also, we went to go talk to Ntais again today. I love talking to her, but the fact that she speaks Hmong green makes it so hard to understand her and I don't think she understands me that well because the village she's from is only filled with Hmong green people, too. It still works though and we enjoy her company while we are here.

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment