Pages


Welcome to Bangkok
















We started our day with the best hotel breakfast I've ever had. Seriously, US hotels need to start taking notes from Thailand on breakfast options. From there we decided to go to the weekend market in Bangkok and then head to the Grand Palace. We had a lot more planned, but quickly realized that we weren't going to much time for anything else. The market was a fun experience, especially when we walked through an alley with a ton of beautiful artwork displayed. I wish I would have taken pictures of what we saw, but I almost felt like it was too sacred to document it with my camera, like I wouldn't be doing the artist and their work justice with taking pictures. We then took a taxi to the Grand Palace where our taxi arrived a lot sooner than the other group's, which was a little stressful because we really didn't have a way to get a hold of our group. It reminded me of when I was growing up and cells phone weren't very common - what great memories. Luckily, we found them and while half of us went into the Grand Palace area, the other half went walking around since they had already seen the palace. I'm glad I didn't miss out on seeing the palace, because it was so beautiful. Everything detail was so intricate and I could only imagine the amount of time and work it took to make the temples and palace. After an hour in the high sun and sea of humidity, we left the palace and returned back to our hotel where we were all able to freshened up and left to the coolest restaurant ever: Condoms and Cabbages. It was like safe sex education galore. We should seriously have one in the US. After feasting on a delicious meal, we were presented with a check and instead of mints they gave us condoms - woo! There was also a wheel where you could spin it and there were different case scenarios on what type of things you could get from not using a condom and having safe sex - unfortunately I landed on vaginal candidiasis (remember, it's just fiction). Anyways, back at our hotel we are and I'm finally sitting in an AC'd room where I can hide from the humidity for a little while. We are headed to Mae Hong Son tomorrow so that will be the start of our Karenni refugee camp adventure. Stay tuned!

Leave a Comment

Post a Comment